Tuesday, January 14, 2014

My Word of the Year for 2014


The week before school starts each year is teacher preparation week. Our district has convocation during that week, when all of the educators from the entire district come together to hear a motivational speaker. Last school year, the speaker encouraged everyone to chose a focus word that would carry us throughout the year. It was easy for me to immediately choose a word: faith. And it served me well for that year.

I decided it was high time for me to pick a new word on January 1, 2014. This time the task of choosing a word was not so easy. At the end of this year, I will turn the big 4-0. I feel this internal pressure of wanting to perfect myself before my birthday in December.  I was throwing around different words, trying them on for size. None felt right. Some were too loose, while others were too stifling.

I hoped to find a word that would signal my desire for a new beginning...weight loss, healthiness, healthy eating habits, exercise, growth in spirituality, growth professionally, simplifying my life, and being fit and fabulous before 40. Words I'd kicked around were: prayer, growth (I just didn’t like that because I didn’t want my body to continue to grow/get fatter), strength, movement, and journey.

Finally, I narrowed down my list to just two words: believe or grace. I loved the notion that “grace” is such a multi-layered word. It could mean acting with fluid movement (and SO unlike me!), forgiveness, or a gift from God. But finally, I decided on “believe.”

I believe I can lose weight. I believe I can be strong. I believe I can be healthy. I believe I can look and feel good. I believe I can be an active, happy mother to my children.  I believe I can do it, and I believe I'm worth it!!! 

I believe that 2014 will be MY year to shine!

1 comment:

  1. Believe is a great word! Keep believing in yourself and stick to our goals.

    ReplyDelete